January 2nd, 2017

Dunedin to Bluff

Highlight: The gypsy bus
Lowlight: The massive walk back from Cathedral Caves

I don’t want to leave the hotel. I had one of those sleeps where you wake up and only felt like you just put your head down. I got up at 6:30 to do my hair and feel fresh (not to sure why I bothered, it is drizzling and looking like it’s going to get worse). 8am and we are off to early start (after having to wake Grace up because she forgot to set an alarm, such a Hufflepuff). Our first stop is Nugget Point Lighthouse.

The others are all doing the Cadbury factory tour in Dunedin, then going to Baldwin street and the Six60 house. I am gutted to miss out on those things, but I figure the natural landmarks are more rewarding. Feeling pretty shattered today. Trying to stay awake on the drive to keep Mike alert.

The road to Nugget Point was windy and gravel. The cool thing was, we were driving along the cost for a while. It looked pretty rugged for the east coast, there were lots of rocks jutting out from the sand. It was a 900m walk to the lighthouse (hills of course) and on the way, we saw a penguin and tons of seals. The view was awesome, but the wind was insane. I got so nervous getting my phone out, I thought it was going to blow away out of my hand.

We decided to skip the waterfall because we spent so much time at the lighthouse. The weather is looking pretty dicey, hopefully, it holds off just a little bit longer.

Omg! We found the green gypsy bus and it was the greatest thing ever. It was basically just an
ADHD kids paradise. You could play with everything that this artist had created. It was all hooked up with circuits, lights, and sounds. I loved the piano – every key was hooked up to a different thing that made a sound. The electric toothbrush and old radio made cool sounds. When we first arrived Grace pushed this button and got squirted in the face. A very well spent $5 – the hot chocolate I got was good too.

When we arrived at Cathedral Caves we quickly realized we should have been there earlier. The place was packed and we only had an hour to explore due to the tide coming in. The walk down was killer (the walk back up was worse). We got to the cave and the water was just below knee height. We went inside and had a little explore before boosting it out of there before we got trapped – I mean boosting, I had to run and I got soaked as this wave smoked us.

Grace, Mike and I had a little picnic lunch in the sun which was so nice. Grace made us sandwiches with our yummy Ferg-baker bread. Not sure where the others are, but they never showed up. Off to Invercargill!

We stopped in and got some alcohol before going to the campground. I was so surprised how crazy cheap alcohol here is. I got some Malibu! Delicious…makes me miss puppy though. We did a big van clean up and got all sorted for the next few days, before adventuring off to Bluff. We detoured to one of mum’s rental properties which was an absolute dive. Bluff was windy…and I mean extreme wind. We had an early dinner at this amazing restaurant on the water. It looked like you were dining on a boat because all you could see was the ocean. The food was okay. It was a typical expensive restaurant, more money, and less food.

We left bluff to head up the hill to the lookout tower. As we were driving away we realized we hadn’t even got to the top. Whoops! Too tired and cold. We decided it was finally time change up the cars so we had an all girls car. It was great. We went and got petrol and dessert supplies to make a feast while we play hearts in the common room. I came 2nd! So close. I wish I was tired, but I’m not. Tomorrow will be rough.

About Kassey

27-year-old teacher. Currently living in New Zealand with aspirations to travel the world and photograph it all.


27-year-old teacher. Currently living in New Zealand with aspirations to travel the world and photograph it all.

Write A Comment